Friday, June 22, 2012

Seeing Green


I know I promised you vintage housewares for sale in my last post and they're coming, really they are.  It just takes a while to photograph all that stuff!  Also, I've been distracted by the state of my refrigerator.

I mean, look at it.  Isn't it gorgeous?  I was a little daunted this week when the contents of our CSA box couldn't fit into my shopping bag.  I was really worried that a full share might be too much for us and a lot of produce would be going to waste, but then I put it all away and it looked pretty manageable.

This time last year I was lamenting the amount of lettuce we were getting.  But now, after a full year of only (mostly) eating seasonal veggies from our CSA, I am psyched!!  After a winter full of parsnips and potatoes I was craving green things; I couldn't wait for the spring greens to start rolling in.  Now look at us!!

This is what we got: 

beets, boston lettuce, carrots, cilantro, escarole, fennel, kohlrabi, romaine, scallions

This is what we're going to eat this week:

poached cod with beet puree and beet green salad





I'll probably use the romaine lettuce for lunch throughout the week.  As you can see, when the veggies start coming fast and furious we eat pretty vegetable-centric meals, with just a little meat, fish or beans to fill things out.  

Also, I want to let you know that all of those vegetables, which come from a certified organic farm, cost us $20 a week.  Yup.  Waaay cheaper than Whole Foods because we buy directly from the farmer.

Just thought some of you might be curious to see what we're getting and how we're using it. Have a great weekend!!!

No comments: