Wednesday, July 08, 2009


In the last year I've become more conscientious (obsessed) with buying local and unprocessed foods. I may have broken down and bought a frozen dinner one day last week (maybe) but in general I have been making more and more at home. I make hummus on a weekly basis. I still haven't perfected bread making, but I'm working on it. Luckily, I don't eat that much bread. I still buy my yogurt and pasta and oatmeal at the grocery store, but about 90% of my produce comes from my farmers' market near work (in Brooklyn Heights).


The decision to eat/shop this way is multi-faceted. It has to do with my health and the health of our nation and our planet. I do what I can, within reason. I am not perfect and I don't go overboard. I haven't bought a bottle of water in 3 months. I haven't bought chicken stock in about 6 months. But I did buy some Pepperidge Farm's Puff Pastry Dough on Sunday. But in general, the less that goes into bringing me the food I eat, the better.

Shopping at the Farmers' Market is the biggest change I've made. And I am trying to use every bit of everything I buy. I never ate radish or beet greens until last month and you know what? They're pretty good! I wish my market sold more so that I could buy more when I'm there. Maybe they will soon, because I think this way of living is catching on. Until they do, I'm going to keep doing what I do.

And every week, I'd like to share it with you as a way of spreading the word. Enjoy!

No comments: