Sunday, May 03, 2009


It's been difficult for me to sit down and write this post. I've been wanting to say something special and poignant, but I keep coming up short.

Four years ago, my good friend came to me with an idea about a knitting store with a coffee shop inside. Four years ago, I began knitting in earnest. Four years ago, I started this blog. Four years ago, my life in NYC really started. Four years ago, I helped to open The Point Knitting Cafe.

If I said that The Point changed my life I would not be exaggerating. It's where I met some of my dearest friends and some of the people dearest to me. It wasn't just the knitters, but all the people in the neighborhood that made The Point such a home for me. Bedford Street is a magical street, a city unto itself and all the people that live there made it one of my favorite places in the world. If I could name them all on this page I would. I could try.

Thank you Helane, Berhan, Sandy, Barbara, Hannah, John, Kiana, Leia, Ana, Beverly, Jill, Jill, Jennifer, Ruth, Jewel, Jessamyn, Katy, Claudine, Joelle, Carol, Carol, Carol, Frannie, Karen, Vere, Elisa, Kia, Suzie, Heidi, Enid, Linda, Peggy, Doug, Carol, Susan, Lisa, Sara, Stephanie, Robert, Michael, Jose, Alex, Terence, Jenny, Liza, Tony.
If I missed anyone, I didn't intend to. There are just so many of you!

I just don't have the words to explain how special The Point was to me. It helped me grow as a person and it introduced me to a world that I didn't really know existed. A world full of beautiful, loving, creative, inspiring people.

I'm going to miss you. Thank you.

9 comments:

MUDNYC said...

I was so sad to hear about The Point closing, too. I hope your next chapter is even more exciting than the one that is ending now.

CityMinx said...

I so feel the same way - i've always considered The Point my Cheers, and I'm so glad of the friends I've made, our lists are really similiar :)

Miss you, coming to SnB soon? We're now at the Whole Foods on Houston...

Katie said...

I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I'm going through some kind of grieving process myself. Although I didn't get down there as much once I started grad school, I have met and knit with some of my best friends there. I can't imagine any other knitting shop/coffee shop/etc. that could take its place.

margaret in manhattan said...

that's where we met as well! I will miss it a whole lot,even though I didn't go down there that much in the past year or two, I have very fond memories - all good luck, my friend!

Veronique said...

I was so shocked to hear that the Point was closing :(
I'm glad that you made many friends though!

Heather said...

Hello Dearie!

So, so sorry to hear that the Point is no more :o(

I miss it even more now that I can never go back.

What will my Carols do now???

Miss you all xxxx

john said...

And thank YOU, my love. You managed that store with respect, compassion, knowledge, and diligence. Your time there was appreciated.

Passionknitly said...

It does kind of feel like the death of a friend, doesn't it?

I don't think of this as goodbye though. There must be ways for the community to thrive!

Charlotte Window Tinting said...

Lovely blog yyou have