Monday, March 26, 2007


veggie burgers
Originally uploaded by Needleworks, Inc..
It seems a breath of fresh (Spring) air has blown through The Works in the last couple of days. After the last post, full of End of Winter Blahs and self pity, I've attempted to pull myself up by my proverbial boot straps.

I've had the windows open for 3 straight days. It's a little chilly, but I throw on an extra sweater and savor the fresh air. Little bit of sunshine have inspired me to start some Spring Cleaning. There's nothing like being home during daylight hours to show you the scary results of not dusting one single surface in 3 months. Yes, The Works is a dirty, dirty place.

So I've been dusting and tidying. And cooking. I'm desperately trying to use up the last of my dried beans and rice and other assorted grains. And I've had about enough of oranges and bananas! I want some real, fresh produce! I cannot wait to take a trip to the farmers market to see what's sprouted!

In the meantime, I made these. I discovered this recipe while watching Good Eats on the Food Network. I just love Alton Brown, but don't usually feel inspired to try his recipes. This one, however, seemed easy enough to execute, and contained the perfect mix of late-Winter ingredients: brown rice, split peas, and mushrooms.

You have to cook them good and crispy on the outside, because the texture tends toward the mushy side. This batch I made tiny, like crab cakes, and I ate them with just a smear of dijon mustard. I think, however, they'd be amazingly good on a bed of baby spinach and topped with a poached egg.

Enjoy, my dears, and look ahead to Spring-ier times!

1 comment:

Macoco said...

I've been doing spring cleaning as well. I need to tackle my blinds - because now that there's actual daylight to see them - well now I can see how gross and grimy they are. Sigh.