Tuesday, May 30, 2006

no blog for you!


real simple
Originally uploaded by Needleworks, Inc..
Apparently, I've surpassed my limit for uploads on flickr.com for the month of May.

There were a bunch of things that I wanted to share with you today that will have to wait.

For example: my day at Coney Island yesterday or my Jaywalker Sock destruction or how my apartment is now so hot I'm considering sleeping on the bathroom floor (where it's nice and cool).

Instead I leave you with my recipe for Pasta alla Needleworks, Inc.

Ingredients
extra virgin olive oil
one anchovy filet cured in oil
one medium onion
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
one 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
one 1lb box of pasta (any shape you like)
one can of good quality tuna packed in oil
salt and pepper

Put a big stock pot full of water on to boil.

Meanwhile, cover the bottom of a very wide saute pan (I use a 5qt pan) with olive oil turn on heat to medium. Place one anchovy filet in the pan.

While the oil is heating, finely chop your onion. When you are finished the oil should be hot and the filet will have dissolved. (At this point I sometimes add red pepper flakes - you can if you want it spicy!)

Add your onions to the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. While the onions are sweating, mince your garlic. (Add as much or as little as you like!)

Add the garlic and cook for about one or two minutes until you can just smell the garlic (not much longer because you don't want it to burn).

Add the entire can of crushed tomatoes and bring up to a simmer. Then go have a nice glass of wine while you wait for the pasta water to boil.

Once the pasta water comes up to a boil, add a pinch of salt and then your pasta. Take this opportunity to taste your sauce and add more salt and pepper, if you like. You can also add a splash of balsamic vinegar or red wine. I don't measure, but will go one time around the pan.

The pasta should be done in 8 minutes or so (depending on what shape you're cooking). When it's done, drain it and put all of it into your sauce pan. Toss it until fully coated.

This is the point where I add the tuna. Don't drain it or rinse it, just dump it in. Some people think it's weird, but I love it. You could also omit the tuna and add some cured black olives or grated pecorino romano cheese.

Enjoy! Yum!

2 comments:

Passionknitly said...

I upload photos to photobucket.com when my flickr account runs out of space! Yay for free photo hosting!!!

Rebecca said...

Great advice! Thanks!