Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quick and Dirty


I was staring at my computer wondering if I should post about soup on such a nice, sunny day, when I saw, far in the distance, dark clouds rolling into Brooklyn.  Ah, well.  It rained for a moment and now it's sunny again.  The weather sure is fickle this month, but this soup is one thing that's been constant in my life.

You know I love my soup.  I've posted about it here and here.  For me, it's the perfect thing to eat for lunch - it's wholesome, filling, and I can freeze large batches at a time.

I call this one Quick and Dirty, because it's really like cheating.  You just open a bunch of cans and dump them all in a pot.  Seriously.  Ok, so when I make it I use my homemade stock and beans that I've frozen, but whatever.  It's just as easy.  Dump and cook.

Quick and Dirty Italian Tomato and Bean Soup

1 box (4 cups) good quality organic chicken broth (or veggie)
1, 15oz. can diced tomatoes with their juices (fire roasted, with garlic and basil, just plain, any kind you like really)
1, 15oz can of cannellini beans
1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
1 med onion, finely chopped
2 med carrots, finely chopped
2 med celery stalks, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced

Take a big ol' pot and dump in the first 5 ingredients.  
Turn the heat up to high and while it comes to a boil, chop your onion, carrots, and celery and mince your garlic.
Once the soup is boiling, add your chopped/minced ingredients.
Reduce heat to a gentle simmer (med-low) and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until all the veggies are soft and tender.

(If you have a Parmesan cheese rind in your refrigerator or freezer drop it in while the soup is simmering.  It's adds a nice depth of flavor.)

Makes 3 pretty hearty or 6 small servings, like as a starter.

Serving suggestions:  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil or top with grated Parmesan cheese
or just serve as is with some nice Italian bread and a little salad.



No comments: