Friday, July 07, 2006

shut down


loop d bag
Originally uploaded by Needleworks, Inc..

Do you watch the news? Did you hear what was going on over in NJ this past week? The government shut down. Yup. Just closed up shop for almost a week.

It appears that they couldn't resolve the budget, so they just decided to stop running until they could settle the whole matter. There was actually an episode of The West Wing about this very matter.

Lately I've been wishing that I could do the same. I really struggle with my monthly budget. I've used all kinds of guides to figure out how much money to allocate to what, but it never works out right. Money set aside for one thing, always winds up being used for something else. I invariably go over budget, leaving the next month's finances all in a twist.

Couldn't I just shut down? Not go to work, not use the subway, not by groceries until I can come to some kind of settlement or deficit resolution?

Would I have to stop knitting? Sewing? I guess these are things that I can do at home during my shutdown. I could plow through my stash. Finish up all the sewing projects I have piled up. How long would that take? A month? Six months? A year?

Then, I guess, I would have to re-enter the world. Because I would need more yarn. But then it probably won't be in my New Improved Budget to buy more yarn, so I'd be back where I started, wouldn't I?

(This is a photo of the Loop-d-Loop bag that I'm having problems with. I just took it off the needles. I'm going to attempt it again tonight.)

2 comments:

spajonas said...

i did hear about the NJ government shutting down and for better or for worse, it seems like it did the trick to get people to agree to a solution. it's too bad they had to go to such drastic lengths, though.

i love that yarn you're using for the bag. is it your own handspun?

Anonymous said...

The yarn is pretty. And, yes, I heard about the shutdown. I use this method with my hubby and I once and awhile. I just say, no more, and I take his debit card! We call it a money diet! I also track everything with MS Money.