Tuesday, March 28, 2006

bag lady


cascade bag
Originally uploaded by Needleworks, Inc..
There's this girl at the grocery store who is hell bent on driving me crazy. She has no idea whatsoever of how to bag groceries. I could have two cans tuna, a gallon of milk, half dozen apples and a loaf of bread and she'll put everything in one bag except the bread. Come ON. How am I supposed to carry that home?

Today I asked her if I could have two bags and she looked at me like I had 5 heads and was speaking Finnish. I had about 15 items and I watched her, with clenched teeth, as she proceeded to stuff all but one package of chicken cutlets and my multigrain english muffins in to one bag. "Can I have two bags?"

She paused with her hand hovering over the chicken cutlets. "I'm putting these in their own bag."

"No, I mean, you're putting all the heavy stuff in one bag."

Blank stare.

"I have to carry it home and all the heavy stuff is one bag." I couldn't think of any other way to say it. The woman behind me with two half gallons of orange juice looked at me sympathetically.

The girl continued to act as if I had 5 heads until I was so embarrassed I finally stopped asking. Then, while I re-bagged my own groceries, the orange juice lady asked for two separate bags for her oj!

I'm not crazy. I just want my of groceries to be evenly weighted. For those of us who have to walk to and from the grocery store this is a really big issue. Well, it is for me. Even more so for me because I have to walk extra far to go to the good grocery store where I can buy multigrain english muffins! If all the canned goods are in one bag, then you can't walk more than one block before your hand starts to fall off and you're shuffling all lopsided. Sheesh!

What does all that have to do with the felted intarsia handbag in the most recent Interweave Knits? Nothing. I will be knitting it. I will be using the lovely shades of Cascade 220 that are pictured here. What I will not be doing is going to the good grocery store again anytime soon. If that means going without multigrain english muffins then so be it.

No comments: